Chocolate, Rum & Raisin Bread & Butter Pudding
Super easy to make and always a favourite with the family, this pudding is great eaten cold, but even better hot, with ice cream or cream on the side. Ideally make about 12 – 24 hours before cooking and serve hot.
- Cut or tear bread slices into quarters. In a 5cm ovenproof deep dish, measuring about 30 x 25cm, layer the slices of bread so that they slightly overlap and reach almost the top of the dish. Arrange them in a symmetrical or fun pattern if you can.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Set a bowl over a saucepan of simmering but not boiling water. Add the chocolate, butter and sugar to the bowl and stir until melted. Then stir in the cream, rum and raisins. Remove from the heat and stir in the eggs and milk until the mixture is blended.
- Slowly and evenly pour most of the custardy mixture over the bread, making sure to almost cover the bread. Using a spoon, carefully push the bread down to help it soak up all the custard. Repeat the process with the remaining custard. Cover the dish with clingfilm and put a weight on it, to help push down the bread to soak up all the mixture.
- Allow to cool, then refrigerate (with the weight still on the top) for 12-24 hours.
- The next day, remove the weight and the clingfilm, and slide the dish into your Delivita oven at medium heat. Cook and cover with foil if necessary to prevent over-browning, for about 30 minutes, rotating the dish 180 degrees halfway through. There are many variations to a good bread and butter pudding - the top of this one should be a little crusty.
- Serve hot with rum and raisin ice cream or a generous dollop of crème fraiche on the side.