Celeriac Shawarma with Flatbread and Quick Pickled Radish
- Firstly, let’s make the dough for the flatbreads.
Add the dry ingredients (white bread flour, baking powder, and salt) to a bowl and mix well.
- Add the oil and most of the water. You may not need all of it so keep some back.
- Mix together until a dough forms and then knead for about 5 mins. It will get less sticky as you knead.
- Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel until we are ready to use it.
- Take the celeriac head and peel / trim off all the outer layer. Slice in half and then thinly slice each half into 2-3mm slices
- Add to a bowl and add 1-2 tbsp of shawarma paste along with a generous glug of olive oil.
- Mix well until all the celeriac pieces are evenly coated.
- Now onto the tahini dressing.
In a bowl, mix together tahini, yoghurt, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and garlic. Set aside for now.
- It’s also handy to have some tomatoes, lettuce and mint chopped and the pomegranate prepped and ready before we start cooking.
- Take the bread dough and cut into 8 equal sized pieces. Roll each into a ball and then flatten to around 20cm / 8” circles.
- Preheat the skillet in the oven and cook the flatbreads one by one until puffed, starting to brown and cooked through.
- Make a foil pouch wrapped in a tea towel to keep the flatbreads warm once cooked
- Add the celeriac to a baking tray and cook for 5-10 mins until tender
- Plate up your shawarmas as follows: Flatbread, Tomato and lettuce, Celeriac, Tahini dressing, Raita.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate and mint. Roll it all up together and insert into your mouth. Keep pushing until it has all gone.